Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Theory

Okay, so over the last decade or so, I have had enough interactions with drug addicts that their progress through their addiction is becoming predictable.

First
come the quick outings easily explainable away.
Second comes the longer outings. Gone for most of the day and returning broke.
Third, same as two, but user is willing to borrow more and more money to get the next fix.
Fourth, personality is rapidly changing! The user is becoming distant from friends and family. They will be short-tempored, irritable, and very jumpy. Unable to sit for long.
Fifth, finally, their desperation for their drug of choice will drive them to do whatever it takes for the next hit. This includes stealing, robbing, mugging, and selling themselves.

With regards to how these steps apply to what is in my life; Schizo-boy is very obvious when he is stepping through these - or at least to me. In the past he has stolen money, robbed, purse-snatched, and now finally, I believe that he has resorted to the final degradation of selling himself sexually for drugs.

I do not think that he is gay, so to speak. He is only doing it fulfil his needs for drugs. But, while doing this, he is also damaging his own self-esteem. This further erodes his hold on his sanity.

It is a sad thing to witness. And I have yet to figure out a method to break someone out of these steps.

Some day I will.