Monday, July 19, 2010

The Train Incident

Oh boy! Here's a funny one for you...

So, this week we are baby-sitting my wife's great niece who is a very precocious 5 year old. And not having much money to buy entertainment outright, she decided that bringing her niece down to my work for lunch via the local train system would be an adventure for them!

At the last moment, Schizo-boy decided to come along for the ride. It was the first time that ALL of them had ridden the trains!

They make it here to my work with no problems. We eat lunch together with no problems. Then we all walk back into the station for the return trip and schizo-boy announces that he would rather ride in the next car because the niece is interacting with him so much. (I think it was embarrassing him a little bit.)

So, the train arrives, my wife and her niece get into one car and schizo-boy gets in the next car. I turn around and leave the station to go back to my desk for the rest of my work day.

20 minutes later, my wife calls frantically asking me if I really HAD seen schizo-boy get onto the train when they left. I said that I thought that he had! Then I realized that he probably just got off at the wrong station. I mentioned that. We all tried calling his cellphone which had been left at home.

My wife waited around for another 10 minutes and then decided to leave the station at the house in the car to see if he had maybe started walking or something. She did not encounter him all the way to the house and so went screaming back to the station. He was waiting for her.

It seems that while we were all walking into the station at my work, I had said, "There are two different lines northbound from this station. Make sure you get onto the North BLEEP line." and that name stuck in his head. He wound up riding the train past their stop all the way to the North BLEEP station! After he realized his mistake, he had to wait about 15 minutes for a train southbound to leave in order to return to the station he should have gotten off at.

*whew!!*