Monday, May 14, 2007

The Blow-out

Well, after a really suck-ass Mother's Day for my wife due to ungrateful little self-centered sons, we were laying in bed at 2300 hrs and suddenly the sickie got up and went into the kitchen. He proceeded to raise all kinds of hell with pots and pans, opening and closing cabinet doors, water running and then even had the balls to start the dishwasher.

The last straw was when he lowered the air conditioner to 70 degrees. That was IT! I blew up! I got up and put on a pair of jeans-shorts and went stomping out of the room into the hall and turned the AC back up to 73 degrees. Then I saw him staring at me from the kitchen. So, I told him that if he didn't stop lowering the AC I was just going to take the controller for it. He said, "Go ahead, I don't care!" So, I did.

Then as our bedroom door slammed shut, I heard him say, "What disrespectful shit." I confirmed with my wife that he did indeed to just call MEEEE disrespectful. I went back out there and into the kitchen and said, "Did you just call ME disrespectful?" and of course he yelled an affirmative. So, I yelled back, "You wanna talk about disrespectful? Fine! Who is that gets up EVERY night and comes in here banging cabinets, fixing food, and cleaning dishes at 11 pm?"

He walked closer to me like he was going to try to get into my face and intimidate me. He yelled back all snotty, "Well I guess that would be ME!" So I added on and yelled, "And who is it that plays their God Damned TV in the next room all damn night? NOW you have an example of disrespect!"

He immediately showed fear in his eyes and started screaming about calling the cops. I sat down in a kitchen chair and said in a calmer voice, "Well, I'm waiting! Call them! Get them here."

So, he calls 911 like 10 times in the next 15 minutes. A cop shows up.

I meet the cop in the front of the house and explain that the stepson has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and that he has not been making/keeping appointments with a psychiatrist and he was not taking any medication for it. I also told him that we did just have an argument about the AC and doing dishes while we are trying to sleep and playing his TV all night.

So, we go in and find the stepson on the back deck smoking his hand-rolled cigarettes. The cop calms him down and gets it out of him that the real deal is that he thinks that I have a warrant out for my arrest and that I'm a rapist.

So, I give the cop my license and say, "Please, run a check on me so we can end this myth and be done with it." He does and of course, he doesn't find anything wrong. *rolling eyes*

The cop then tells the stepson to go back into the house and talks with me on the deck. He asks if we have a weapon in the house. I say absolutely not. He says that is good. He also says that since the stepson is 25, we can evict him any time we want. I say that I was aware of that but we knew that he is not capable of living on his own and if we kicked him to the curb, he would just end up in jail and that was not the right way to handle this. I told him about having him committed and they did the tests and they came out positive for Schizophrenia and they had released him with the orders that he had to seek an appointment with a psychiatrist and stay on his medications. He had refused to do so after he got out stating that he didn't have a problem.

The cop's mouth dropped and he said that he admired me and his mom because he knew what we were having to deal with and he could not have made it this far. He also told me that a prominent person that lived on blahblah drive - right around the corner from our house - was going through the exact same thing with his son. I asked the cop if he had suggested NAMI to the other guy.

Then the cop left, I went to bed, and so did the stepson. He even turned off that damn TV for the night.

Of course, now my wife is not talking to me despite the fact that I did not kick him out and I could have had him picked up last night because I know that the county has a warrant out for him. So it would have taken one sentence from me to change his life on a more permanent basis.

*sigh*