Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Talk

So, last night my wife and I pulled my stepson into the living room and had a talk with him. We told him that we had found an outpatient place near the house. Yes, it did involve talking with psychiatrist, but it was not one of those places where they throw you in a padded room and locked you in, etc. We told him that he had no choice in the matter but that he did have to go and get help from somewhere.

I could see the gears going like mad in his mind as he tried to think of some way out of this. He then stated that all he needed to do was find a job and he'd be alright. We both said no, that wasn't the problem.

So, I explained about the human bio-rhythm behavior in everyone and how his cycle just dipped too low on the down side. He needed to have help leveling this out because when he the down cycle, it was going life-threatening too low.

He abdicated and said that he would call the guy when the guy got back from vacation on Monday.

Then he got himself another beer and hit the back porch.

I started having a bad feeling that it was going to depress him about our talk. So, I went out onto the back porch and said basically that I was worried that our talk was going to make him depressed and that he shouldn't dwell on it. Then I said that at the end of the day his mom and I were not doctors and we didn't know exactly what was wrong and it could be something extremely simple. No sense in worrying about the appointment because really all he would be doing is just dumping his problems onto this guy. Then the guy would help him sort through it all and possibly have him get some tests - physical tests.

That seemed to make him feel better. (So I guess it was worth freezing my a$$ off out there on the deck for that particular thirty minutes.)