So, using contacts through NAMI, we were referred to a local family psychiatric clinic. I called them a couple of days ago and actually got an appointment with a real, bonafide Psychiatrist who specializes in adult Schizophrenia. The appointment was yesterday.
Remember,my stepson would not see a Psychiatrist because he is afraid that we are trying to have him committed. He did agree to seek family counselling with all three of us present, me, his mom, and him. He agreed to this because now I am the bad person here. The one that is programming the chip in his head and controlling his thoughts and actions. So, he's got his own agenda for having this counselling session.
We show up. Stepson sits completely on the other side of the waiting room from us. Then the doc calls us into his office. So, we all three go to his office and sit in various chairs with my wife and I sitting on the proverbial couch. I start off by saying, "I think that my stepson has some issues with me and his mom and wants to start things off."
The stepson gets a wild look in his eyes and says, "Oh yeah, I've got problems with my step dad. He raped my girlfriend which is why she left me. I have already opened the case with the police and they now have a warrant out for his arrest. Yeah, that's my issue."
The doc says, "You seem to be very agitated. Why are you acting so agitated?" and my stepson basically shut the heck up after that. So the doc asked if he would like to tell him about it on his own, without his parents in the room. He refused to be in the room without us there. So, the doc told him that he would like to talk with us without him in the room and asked him to step outside. The stepson said, "That's fine but you BETTER not be talking about me after I leave
the room!" and got up and went back to the waiting area.
The doc had a long conversation with my wife and I. We basically told him the sequence of events that had led up to today. He said that with only one exception, my stepson was definitely showing the classic signs of extreme paranoia and delusion. So we asked him what the sign was that he was NOT showing. He said that he was not showing the sign of being a danger to himself - suicidal - or to others - homicidal.
He did add that since I am now the bad guy here, that we should have a policy of zero tolerance for threats of any kind towards either one of us. If he threatened, we immediately got the cops involved.
He also recommended that we try to 1013 him - or have him committed by the state - because his paranoia was going to keep us from getting him help voluntarily. We needed to wait on doing this until he was at his lowest and showing the most signs of his condition.
Then our hour was up and he kicked us out but only charged us half of the usual fee. (What a guy)
So where are we now? Exactly where we were except now someone besides me has told his mom that we cannot, absolutely cannot force help onto the son. We could only do our best and if that wound up not being good enough, then we did do our bestest.
*sigh*