Monday, June 18, 2007

Sheriff's Office Saves The Day

After the fiasco with the mobile crisis unit, I had to go to work that night. When I got back to the house at 0600 hrs I was really tired. I planned to get up at 0900 and call downtown and get the missing OTA found and served on that day.

While I slept, my wife had to deal with the son. At one point, I heard her calling out the front door asking him what he was doing. I didn't hear his response. Then she said, "You are standing in the street and naked! You need to come into the house. Where are your underwear?"

I got up.

She called the Sheriff's office around 0930 hrs and got a captain on the phone. She explained the seriousness of the situation and begged him to do something. at about 1200 hrs the sheriff arrived and hauled the stepson off to the main hospital for our county.

*long sigh*

We got a call on Saturday morning at 0300 from one of the workers at the hospital. Let me say that again, at 0300 hrs! That's 3 AM. They were asking what was going on with the son that got him there, etc. *rolling eyes*

We went on Sunday to visit the stepson and see what was being done for him. We took him some clothes. We arrived at about 1330 and they said he was too agitated to take visitors but they did take the clothes for him.

We left and went home for a bit. Then we took off around 5 to go to the apple store for a bit, ate a slow supper and then showed back up down there.

We found out the following:

1) They were seeing that he was have a schizophrenic episode.
2) They were only sedating him until they could get a bed available at GA Regional, their mental hospital system.
3) It could be days before that happens.
4) At least the staff at the main hospital, Grady were able to see the son like we had been seeing him for over a week.

More as it happens...